Cody’s Fresh Start Worksheet
We would love to hear your recovery story to publish on our website under our Recovery Support page.
Please complete in an email or Word document and return to email@example.com. Try to keep your story less than 3 pages after you fill out the worksheet. You don’t have to share everything, only what you are comfortable with. Please let us know if you want to use your whole name, just your first name or a pseudonym. You may upload a photo if you would like us to include it with your story.
1. What were some of the early indications that you were beginning to have difficulties?
2. How would you describe (briefly) yourself and your situation when you were at your worse – what couldn’t you do? (For example: I could not get out of bed, I could not stop crying, I thought people were going to harm me or could hear my thoughts, I could not stop drinking or using.)
3. What helped you move from where you were to where you are now? What did you do? (For example, I quit using alcohol and drugs, I took responsibility for my illness by learning my triggers and early warning signs, I talked to others about my problems, I go to support groups) What did others do? (Let me know they cared, took me to appointments, were honest with me about the way I was behaving.)
4. What have you had to overcome to get where you are today? (For example: the belief I would never get better, addiction, learning to solve problems in a healthy way).
5. What have you learned about yourself and what we call recovery? (For example: I am stronger than I thought, I can do anything as long as I work at it, the process of recovery is worth the journey.) What are some of the strengths you have developed? (For example: problem solving skills, I learned to be a good listener, I can face my fears without relapsing or using)
6. What are some of the things that you do to keep you on the right path? (For example: go to A.A./N. A, take my medicine, follow my wellness recovery action plan, get enough sleep, don’t let things build up, ask for help). What is your sobriety date?
Once you have completed the questions, you can put it all together into a story or we can do it for you if you prefer. Thank you!
I authorize Cody’s Fresh Start Charity Works to publish my story on their website.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 303-941-3120